The terrorists have won. Srsly.
If you don't think so, let's take a little tour.
- As a nation, we have collectively surrendered huge swaths of our civil rights to laws with warm and fuzzy names like the "Patriot Act".
- We have sat unknowingly by while shadowy government agencies built surveillance networks that the Stazi only dreamed about in their wettest of dreams--and we only found out about them when one guy bravely came forth to expose them, and was hounded to the ends of the earth by that same government for revealing their secret.
- We have allowed our police agencies at all local levels to arm themselves as if they were invading Fallujah on a bad day--and then we're all surprised and butthurt when they actually make use of their new toys.
- We have allowed agencies at the federal level to form their own police agencies, just in case the EPA needs a SWAT team to visit your farm to check out a mud puddle that they think is a wetland.
- We parade through airports in our stocking feet, wearing sweatpants and t-shirts so minimum-wage goons can line us up to do things that would be considered sexual assault in any other venue.