Personally, I think that's a pretty good score, Florida. Shoot for a perfect 0 next year, will ya?
However, bad as Calvin is, commenter MichelleH is worse. She whines"I just hope this article doesn't encourage people to buy more guns, just what Florida needs. Ugly? I'll say, given the number of domestic shootings and murders increasing nationwide, especially here in Florida." She continues in a similar vein, piling lies atop innuendos and covering the whole thing in poorly done sarcasm.
Fortunately, our fellow gunnies in Florida showed up and piled on, variously noting
- "Too bad the facts don't fit the extremist rhetoric of this post."
- "...why is it that there's not a single scientifically valid and reliable study that proves even a medium correlation, not even link just correlation, between increased gun restriction laws and lower crime rates?"
- "Nothing like a bit of rational thinking and reasoned discourse on a Monday."
- "The author of this tripe is a moron and knows nothing about the issue at hand."
- "You Floridians are going to have to work harder. Here in ol' Kaintuck we got a '2.' Of course we're shooting for a zero, or preferably negative integers."
Now, just for fun, I' like to leave you with a single statistic on that 8 point Brady state, Florida. This comes from the Florida Department of Law Enforcement's "Florida's Crime Rate at a Glance" page:
- 1997 Violent Crime Rate: 1025 per 100,000
- 2006 Violent Crime Rate: 706 per 100,000