Eighteen law enforcement agencies in North Carolina, more than any other state, have asked to join a program that would allow them to check the immigration status of those they arrest and jail. Sheriff's offices in Wake, Durham and Johnston counties are among those that have applied.
While I'm glad we're making a start, this is only 18 out of how many (I'm guessing 200+?) LE agencies in the state. I'm going to keep an eye open for a list of the 18, so that appropriate pressure can be brought on those who aren't taking part in this program.
On the list so far:
- Durham County Sheriff's Office
- Johnston County Sheriff's Office
- Mecklenburg County Sheriff's Office
- North Carolina Dept. of Corrections?
- Wake County Sheriff's Office